Many voices need to be heard in support of public, I mean really public, education. #EdBlogNet
All across the Empire State thousands upon thousands of parents, students, business leaders, and teachers are standing up and speaking out for public education. The message is clear. We will not let Governor Cuomo destroy public education in New York.
Andrew Cuomo, our ‘self-proclaimed student advocate’, is holding school funding hostage in his maniacal quest to sell off public education to the highest bidder. An integral part of his plan is to falsely proclaim our schools and teachers as failures.
We have all witnessed Cuomo do the following;
- shifting needed funding towards the private sector.
- handing over public schools buildings room by room to privately own charter schools.
- wrenching local control away from communities.
- demanding unfunded mandates that are driving public school districts into fiscal distress.
- destroying teacher preparation programs.
- whittling away at teacher education centers.
- demanding standards that are not age appropriate for students.
- forcing children to undergo hours…
View original post 301 more words